Monday, August 15, 2011

My first angel in SA :)



I remember the day very much, it was very very cold. I had just arrived by Jet Airways to Johannesburg, South Africa.

There was one colleague from my office who was already here and he had the keys to my house here, so I had to come to his house to collect my keys. So morning 9:00 a.m., I arrived at his house. I had never met him in India before.

I knocked and his wife opened the door, and there was a 2 and a half/3 year old kid in her arms. I smiled. And Mahi smiled back. So I had made my first friend in South Africa. The kid had those curious, innocent eyes. That was the first thing I noticed about her.
As it was cold, I entered inside. Chetana, her mom asked me whether I will have tea, but I was very tired and wanted to have a shower soon, so I declined, and I could see Mahi was a little annoyed, so I decided to sit for a longer time and asked for coffee.

I searched for my purse and I had a 5 star with me (luckily) and gave it to her, she just wouldnt take her eyes off me, probably because she thought that I would go. She was clinging to her mother and having her milk now. They bribed her, that I would stay if she finishes her milk, and I too nodded when her parents made the deal.

She finished her milk and I finished my coffee, glancing at each other, me trying to make small converstaion with her.

Her mom informed me that they were the only Indians in that locality, and there were no children in their complex, so Mahi loved when people came home. It seems she was excited way before I was going to come :-)

After a promise that we all will go out later after 1 hr, Mahi finally allowed me to go, though not very happy or sure about the fact that we will meet.

From that day onwards, Mahi and me had become good friends. She would make me forget about my troubles and I would feel like life is beautiful with such angels around me.
I would be the baby sitter, (her parents willingly, enjoying some time together) play slides with her, sing songs with her, tell her stories again and again. :-) and she is such a loving child, very stubborn I should say :P and also very energetic, very active, doesnt quite like a non-activity moment. Keeps you on your toes, in the literal sense.

She has taught me so many things, of enjoying each moment and being happy to the fullest. When I am with her, I am completely immersed in what she is saying to me, her interesting stories about school, or the way she spend her day, or simply about her curious questions about so many things. She is quite an entertainer, knows her "munni badnaam" and dances on "sheela ki jawani".

Now that she has gone, I miss her so much :)
But I now realize why I loved this city from the day I came, because I had found an angel on the first day, who was always there to cheer me up with her innocent loving ways :)

Miss u Mahi :)

1 comment: